Thanksgiving is a popular national holiday celebrated across North America. In the USA, it is celebrated on the fourth Thursday in November. It’s a time for families to come together and give thanks for the blessings of the year around the dinner table. The Thanksgiving feast typically involves roast turkey, cranberry sauce, green bean casserole and an irresistible slice of pumpkin pie.
750g pumpkin, peeled, deseeded and cut into chunks
350g shortcrust pastry
plain flour, for dusting
140g caster sugar
½ tsp salt
½ tsp fresh nutmeg, grated
1 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs, beaten
25g butter, melted
1 tbsp icing sugar
- Place the pumpkin chunks into a large saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender. Drain and let cool.
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Lightly flour a surface top and roll out the pastry. Then use it to line a 22cm loose-bottomed tart tin. Chill for 15 minutes.
- Line the pastry with baking parchment and baking beans, then bake for 15 minutes. Remove the beans and paper, and cook for a further 10 minutes until the base is starting to golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Increase oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Push the cooled pumpkin through a sieve into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, salt, nutmeg and half the cinnamon. Mix in the beaten eggs, melted butter and milk. Add the mixture to the pumpkin purée and stir to combine. Pour into the pastry shell and cook for 10 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Continue to bake for 35 minutes or until the filling has set.
- Leave to cool, then remove the pie from the tin. Mix the remaining cinnamon with the icing sugar and dust over the pie. Serve chilled.
For a twist on this wholesome classic, try adding a dash of dark rum to the pumpkin mixture.
To try more classic American cuisine, visit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/cuisines/american
Buffets By Design is based in Croydon and offers catering for all occasions in Surrey and the surrounding areas.